Thursday, December 6, 2007

Homeschooling Journey: A history of what I encountered along the way

When my two children were younger we took a 6 week field trip to Florida and back, stopping off in Washington, D.C. on the way home for this photo op. It was a cold and blustery day as you can see from the attire. I don't remember the exact dates of this trip but it was winter because my sweet hubby stayed home to stoke the wood stove.

We chose not to take a tour of the inside of the White House at the time because Bill Clinton was president and we were all disgusted with him and Hillary. The White House was too special a place to tour it while those reprobates were living there.

One of the beauties of homeschooling was the freedom we had to just pack up the car and take trips any time we had the urge to travel. There was never any 'homework' on the road, nor did we need permission from the local school officials to go. The children's only assignment was to have fun!


I've been digging out my closets and finding these old photos in shoe boxes and other assorted containers. Now that my children are older I've had more time to reflect back on our homeschooling adventure. It's amazing how much living and learning you can cram into 21 years. I'm just very glad I managed to take as many photos as I did to record that adventure. If I could make one suggestion to all you other homeschoolers out there it would be give your children a camera and supply them with lots of film so they can help record their own personal history. It will be well worth the effort and you'll be amazed how fast the years will go. Don't loose them to father time without getting as many snapshots of those growing up years as you can. I miss those two little munchkins I was able to pal around with but now I have two wonderful, kind, knowledgeable and generous young adults living in my home as a result of all those years of living and learning in freedom.

No comments: