Friday, February 26, 2010

'Matchmaking' in Middle School Angers Parents - Children's Health - FOXNews.com

'Matchmaking' in Middle School Angers Parents - Children's Health - FOXNews.com
Edit HTML
Posted using ShareThis

This is absolutely mind boggling. Some of these students are only 11 years old!


"The Elwood Community School drama club in Elwood, Ind., is using their own matchmaking Web site for fundraising. The Web site was created by the school, and students in grades six through 10 can pay to find a compatible boyfriend or girlfriend, WISH-TV reported."

The website was actually created by the school? Geeeeeeeeeeeeesh! 

"Dr. Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist and Fox News contributor, agreed the fundraiser could have some negative consequences.

“It encourages adolescents to consider their relationships just as ‘adult’ as any other relationships typically kindled by ‘matchmaking,’” Ablow said. “This could certainly lead them to believe they are ready to engage in adult encounters.”

What ever happened to bake sales???

3 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

GASP!!!!!!

Did you know... I was the town's full-time daily newspaper reporter back in the day! Elwood Call-Leader!! Little town in the middle of nowhere north of Indianapolis. Home of Red Giant factory. Town smells like tomato soup (pleasant actually, esp. in winter!).

But LOTS of drinking and wifebeating. LOTS. I hate to say that if might be beneficial to talk to these teens about what a "good relationship" looks like. I'm almost siding with the school on this before clicking through... that's how bad things are there.

Ohhhh boy. Off to click the link now. Afraid to see what I find. Here goes!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Well, this wasn't nearly so bad as I thought it would be. I would SWEAR I know this lady. I would swear it's the same one that would show up at every board meeting and do lots of talking. She used to have bright red hair. Sometime I will have to dig up old articles and see if it's the same lady. I don't know how she had time to do this. She had to be all of 24 and already had four kids. But she was a pretty tough little cookie. Hmm..

It's been 16 years since I was there. I still imagine the backwoods hospital and backwoods elementary school. They do try. But let's just say that if I thought I could make it at all, I'd drive somewhere else for emergency care. We had "Patrick" 16 years ago in the SOUTH end of Indianapolis because there was no way he was going to get born at that Mercy Hospital. Bungling idiot there once diagnosed me as 5 months pregnant. We later found out I had a 3 1/2 pound ovarian cyst, but do you know how heartbreaking it was for the doctor to "listen for the heartbeat" all that time and never hear it?

Yeah. We looked into homeschooling when we lived there... and never did it till Elf was going through what he did. MY you have brought back some memories.

They are all jumbled even still.

Cindy Wade said...

My concern is what are they doing with all the personal data that's being collected on the students who fill out an application? How extensive are the interviews and how much information are these students giving to the school? This may come back to bite these students someday when their boss sees their electronic school records in a school-to-work program.