Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pushing 60 and still can't decide what I want to be when I grow up!

Folks with psychology or psychiatry degrees need to get over their bad selves and accept the fact that parents make better teachers for their own children than certified strangers do. Don't you just love it when uppity-ups like this Dan Miller fellow  presume to tell us how to best educate our own children?

"But, Dan Miller, who chairs the Psychology & Psychiatry Department at Texas Woman's University and worked as a school psychologist for 25 years, says when children are taught only what interests them, they end up with holes in their education."

Holes in their education??? I'm 56, have a college degree and have had countless occupations. I still have lots of 'holes' in my education. To me that is the natural result of living life. An education (and who gets to define exactly what that is?) without holes would be a fierce beast to behold, I'm sure. I think what matters most is that #1...we're happy and #2...we have the ability to learn and keep on learning. Frankly, I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. I'll be darned if some shrink is going to decide for me!

No comments: