Thursday, April 8, 2010

W&L Professor's Memoir Offers Insight into Short-Term Homeschooling :: Washington and Lee University

W&L Professor's Memoir Offers Insight into Short-Term Homeschooling :: Washington and Lee University

"As a professor of English at Washington and Lee University, Brodie understood the benefits of sabbaticals and decided that Julia should be homeschooled for one year."

I have not read this book but already I'm having my doubts that Brodie's decision to 'homeschool for one year' was not based on any understanding of what homeschooling is or how children learn.

"But Brodie cautions in her book that, although homeschooling can help a child become more enthusiastic about learning, it can be hard work. "You have to devote an enormous amount of time and attention to the process because most children are not independent learners. They won't carry out a project without a lot of supervision. Julia needed me there as a cheer leader and a drill sergeant every day," she said"

Sounds like Brodie fell into the trap that most schooled parents fall into which is thinking she needed to school at home.

"But Brodie said she lightened up and learned to become more patient. "Happier times came with the arrival of spring," she said."

Happier times will also arrive with a continuation of homeschooling. Did Brodie send her child back into a horrid school system after allowing her daughter to deschool for a year? Anyone? Like I said I have not read this book and I doubt I will. I wouldn't be able to contain my frustration with this professor mom and all her educational baggage.

No comments: